Austria is a landlocked country in south-central Europe that is mostly hilly. Despite Austria’s full membership in the supranational European Union since 1995, it constitutes what has been referred to as the neutral core of Europe, together with Switzerland (EU).
Austria’s significance can be traced in large part to its physical location. It is at the crossroads of European trade, running east-west over the famous Danubian trade route and north-south through the majestic Alpine mountains, putting it at the crossroads of a variety of political and economic systems.
Isn’t this a heaven you would want to know more about?!
The finest months to visit Austria are in the spring, between April and May, and in the fall, between September and October. The weather is perfect for outdoor activities, and there are fewer people around. Excellent weather and bright days characterize the peak tourist season, which runs from June through August.
Austrian Airlines is the country’s national carrier. Air France, Finnair, Aeroflot, Gulf Air, Turkish Carriers, Qatar Airways, Emirates, Etihad Airways, and Air India are among the other major airlines that fly to Austria. It is simple to travel from India to Austria.
Austria has the perfect elements to intoxicate your senses, from picturesque villages to gorgeous cities, from the best operas to the most exquisite sweets. Let us take you on a journey around Austria’s beautiful landscapes and breathtaking towns to discover the greatest spots to visit, including the obvious suspects like Vienna and Salzburg, as well as some lesser-known Austria tourist destinations like Bregenz and Wachau. You will undoubtedly have a fantastic time taking in the culture and seeing the Alpine vistas.
- Vienna – Vienna is a city rich in culture and splendor, home to stately palaces and museums, the opera, and Beethoven. A stroll through Vienna’s gorgeous Ringstrasse Boulevard, which is bordered with regal palaces such as the Hofburg Imperial Palace and many attractive parks, is a terrific opportunity to absorb the city’s beauty. Vienna is one of Austria’s most beautiful cities. For a relaxing evening, visit one of Vienna’s cafés and have some delicious coffee. Architectural marvels, the magnificent Schonbrunn & Belvedere Palaces, and the majestic St Stephen’s Cathedral are a must-see for art and history buffs.
- Salzburg – Salzburg, one of Austria’s must-see destinations, conjures up images of a lovely city surrounded by rolling green meadows, grand historical buildings, and Mozart. Salzburg, the birthplace of the genius composer and the setting for the legendary film Sound of Music, is at the top of the list of places to visit in Austria.The ancient town of Aldsten, with its spectacular baroque architecture, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the majestic Hohensalzburg fortification is Europe’s last remaining castle. The Salzburger Festspiele, a huge extravaganza of culture, music, and the arts held over the summer, is an unforgettable event.
- Innsbruck – The idyllic alpine town, surrounded by high mountains, offers a diverse range of activities to make your visit enjoyable. You may take a leisurely stroll through the old town and marvel at the gleaming Goldenes Dachl, which is covered with over 2500 gleaming tiles, or visit the Tyrolean Folk Art Museum, one of Europe’s best regional history museums. Innsbruck features world-renowned ski resorts that can be experienced during the winter months, making it a destination for all seasons and one of the most magical places to visit in Austria in the winter.
- Salzkammergut – With glittering blue lakes (76 in all!), gorgeous alpine peaks, attractive villages, and opulent spa towns, this picturesque resort area near Salzburg delivers the ultimate Austrian experience. The fairy tale village of Hallstatt, located by Lake Hallstatt and listed on UNESCO’s world historic sites list, is one of Austria’s most attractive destinations to visit. Halstatt’s gorgeous pastel-coloured homes, underground Salt Lake Salzwelten, and Ice Cave on Dachstein Mountain are without a doubt among Austria’s most picturesque destinations. Other popular tourist destinations include Bad Ischl, a spa town, and St Wolfgang, a charming village.
- Graz – Graz, Austria’s second largest city, features six universities and one of Europe’s best preserved Old Town neighbourhoods, so there’s plenty to keep your wanderlust satisfied. Add in the various museums, beautiful baroque and Renaissance-style buildings, and a distinctive forested hill in the city’s centre with panoramic views, and you’ve got the recipe for a fantastic holiday. Graz will tempt you both literally and figuratively, with its many culinary delicacies. Cooking enthusiasts can take some pumpkin seed oil home with them to spruce up their recipes. Graz is one of the most unusual places to visit in Austria, and it is a must-see!
- Worthersee – Canoeing, spelunking, beautiful churches, and Porsche’s hometown are all reasons to spend a few days in Austria’s most popular summer getaway. During the summer, the lovely Worthersee Lake provides numerous chances for swimming, boating, and canoeing. For some adventure and discovery, visit the colourful Griffen Stalactite cave. A visit to Gmund, the birthplace of Porsche, and admiring the 12th century historic Cathedral of Gurk round out your list of must-do experiences in one of Austria’s top travel destinations.
- Bad Gastein – Take a bath in the curative hot spring waters and breathe in the fresh mountain air in Bad Gastein, a resort town. This lovely hill town, perched on the High Tauern Mountain, also attracts skiing aficionados throughout the winter, making it one of Austria’s top destinations to visit. Bad Gastein is known for its Belle Epoque style hotels and villas, as well as exhilarating hiking paths and plenty of outdoor activities such as biking and hiking. The beautiful Gastein waterfall, located in the town’s centre, is a stunning sight. More reasons to schedule your vacation now include open studios, creative seminars, jazz events, culinary delights, and a thriving nightlife.
Though we’ve included the must-see attractions in Austria, there’s so much more to see and do in this beautiful country, as well as Europe! And, to assist you in planning your ideal vacation, we recommend booking an Austria trip with Triplou and enjoying a personalized vacation just as you have always desired or dreamed of. Good luck on your journey!